Carla Sonheim’s post the other day had us use the scraping method to make a random blob shape onto watercolour paper and then look for shapes or designs to bring out with marker. This was a lot of fun.
For some reason I saw birds and cats. I hate drawing cats, only because I don’t think I’m very good at it, so I did the two birds first. In the first blob I saw an eagle with a fish in his mouth and the second one was a random mythical bird with an angry look. Then I tackled the cat drawings. One is of a cat sleeping and the other is a cat from the back side.
Today I spent time developing a piece of art around the theme “Target Animals”, except that I opted not to make an animal. Instead I made a completely abstract piece. You might see an animal or some kind of character in my design but that was not intentional. This assignment is part of Carla Sonheim’s year-long on-line art class.
I used marker and acrylic paint on 185 lb. acrylic paper by Canson. It is 9 x 12 inches in size. The background is actually a lot whiter. I really need to take photos of my art in natural daylight.
I’m loving my personal challenge so far. Three days in and I’ve managed to produce three pieces of abstract art. I won’t always do the same type of art and I will eventually move onto larger pieces. I may even take some of these smaller pieces and use them as inspiration for a larger piece using a different medium, perhaps acrylic or ink.
This was a technique introduced to me by Carla Sonheim that I loved doing. First you tear up some paper into an irregular shape, then you find a subject to draw and finally you draw that object (bicycle, glass bottles, butterfly) within the edges of the torn paper. You literally make the object take on the shape of the paper. Try it. It was fun to do.
For one of my assignments with Carla Sonheim’s 2017 Year Long Class: 365 we were instructed to take a piece of ginger root and draw the shape onto a piece of paper. Then were to take three colours and add detail to the shape to create some kind of fantastic creature. This was so much fun that I gave the same assignment to my grade 2 and grade 3 students. I bought a few pieces of ginger root and photo copied some photos of ginger root that I found on the internet. Here are the samples that I made to demonstrate the procedure to my classes.
The children chose the ginger root shape that they wanted to copy and they were encouraged to put their creature in a setting and give them a name. Here is a sampling of their creations: