In Carla Sonheim’s class today we were instructed to take some of our art papers and with our eyes closed cut out random shapes. Then we were to create a character of our choice. We weren’t suppose to have a character in mind when doing the cutting. Instead the character would appear as we tried to arrange some to the shapes.
Gluing the pieces down was the last step in the process. As we created a character Carla recommended taking a photograph of each version and move the pieces around until you came up with a character you liked.
I found one piece of paper that looked like bird legs running so I build my character around that. Here is the process that I went through before gluing my final character in place.
On my final piece I grounded my little roadrunner with a strip of ground and put a cloud over her head. To me she looked like she was running off to a party.
I’m a little behind with my collage art so I’ve posted two assignments back to back. This week’s assignment was to take two different images and cut them into thin strips of equal size and alternate them to create a new image.
For my first one I had two different images of snakes and for the second one I used an image of a tulip and one of my art papers that had similar colours.
I’ve returned to work on some more of the 50 creative exercises from Randel Plowman’s book The Collage Workbook. Evelyn Flint and her sister, Carolyn,have challenged themselves to work on one exercise each week and I’ve decided to join them in their challenge.
For week six we were instructed to take an image and cut it into two pieces and create two different collages. I found an image of a Joan Baez and Bob Dylan poster that I used for my two collages this week.