Second Project of Part 2

….day 80 of 365 Days of Art

For the Tape n’Stuff assignment that Carla Sonheim gave us I made two backgrounds. Yesterday I posted the first one here where I explained the process for this project.

Here is my second attempt at this unusual assignment.

fullsizeoutput_6e27
fullsizeoutput_6e29

365 Days of Art – Part 2 of Tape n’Stuff

…..day 79

I went back to some of the one-liner birds that I had done and decided to redraw two of them onto the taped and collaged background that I created yesterday. After I lightly drew the shape onto the collaged surface I took acrylic white paint and filled in the shape. After it dried completely I used a Koi Colouring Brush Pen in black and outlined the shape and added a few details. I then applied some water with a brush to the black marks to soften them and create shadow.

Here is the first completed piece:

fullsizeoutput_6e26

fullsizeoutput_6e28

365 Days of Art – Preparing Backgrounds

…day 78

In Carla Sonheim’s on-line year-long art class we were assigned to create some backgrounds (Part 1) for the next class. These canvases were to be created with collaged paper but instead of gluing them down we were suppose to use tape in a variety of colours and patterns to hold everything together. In other words the tape is part of the design.

Last night or early this morning I started making two canvases. I was totally engrossed in the process and by 2:30 in the morning I had completed two backgrounds. Here they are:

fullsizeoutput_6e25
fullsizeoutput_6e24

Step two is to paint something (an object, animal, person) in white paint somewhere on these canvases. Haven’t quite decided what to do but I have a couple of ideas. Stay tuned.

A Study in Patience

…..Day 77

I’ve included this knitting project has one of my art pieces for my 365 Days of Art. It took me hours if not days to complete this shawl. I had never done a lacy pattern before but I think it was the 361 stitches on the needle that caused me the most grief. If I dropped one stitch or miscounted the whole piece was off and trying to fix a mistake when you’ve completed a row was close to impossible to fix. I ripped out the stitches four times and one of those times I was already finished with the lacy section when I realized that I had misread the last row of the pattern and had 70 stitches too many on my needle. Arghhh!

The fifth try was the charm. By this time I truly understood how the pattern worked and the number of stitches remained constant until it was time to decrease. I have to admit that after the third failure I was ready to give up. After all, it was taking away from my time at my art table but I decided that this project was a form of art so I persisted. I made a couple of trips back to the yarn store, Spin Me a Yarn, where I was given the encouragement I needed and some helpful tips for this project.

If you’re interested this pattern is called Mesquite Shawl from Zen Yarn Garden.

IMG_1454
IMG_1455
IMG_1456
IMG_1460