What’s a Snoopy Party?

….day 81 of 365 Days of Art

On Friday our granddaughter requested that everyone coming over for lunch on Saturday wear a Snoopy t-shirt. Our oldest daughter was the only one who could honour that request so Oma and Papa went to work looking for Snoopy clipart. I knew I had t-shirt transfer sheets so it was just a matter of choosing the design and finding some plain t-shirts that we didn’t mind messing up if things didn’t go as plan.

The first shirt did get messed up and I had to hand draw the lower half of Snoopy with a black Sharpie. The next two worked out much better.

fullsizeoutput_6e2a

I asked my daughter-in-law what colour t-shirt she wanted for her Snoopy Shirt. When she said black I knew that I couldn’t use the transfer sheets that I had so I researched how to transfer designs onto to black or dark fabric. It turns out that there is a special transfer paper designed for dark colours.

I made a quick trip to Michael’s and found the special sheets that I needed and the t-shirts were on sale, buy two and get one free. I picked up three new shirts and decided on the spot that I had to make shirts for daughter #2 and her husband. I loved how easy it was to use the special paper for dark colours and was very happy with the outcome. I think everyone loved their shirts.

eb81c276_3b58_4e75_807b_5397fc44a3a6
e359cc98_1fde_4a21_b8de_9e587897bd11

Second Project of Part 2

….day 80 of 365 Days of Art

For the Tape n’Stuff assignment that Carla Sonheim gave us I made two backgrounds. Yesterday I posted the first one here¬†where I explained the process for this project.

Here is my second attempt at this unusual assignment.

fullsizeoutput_6e27
fullsizeoutput_6e29

365 Days of Art – Part 2 of Tape n’Stuff

…..day 79

I went back to some of the one-liner birds that I had done and decided to redraw two of them onto the taped and collaged background that I created yesterday. After I lightly drew the shape onto the collaged surface I took acrylic white paint and filled in the shape. After it dried completely I used a Koi Colouring Brush Pen in black and outlined the shape and added a few details. I then applied some water with a brush to the black marks to soften them and create shadow.

Here is the first completed piece:

fullsizeoutput_6e26

fullsizeoutput_6e28

365 Days of Art – Preparing Backgrounds

…day 78

In Carla Sonheim’s on-line year-long art class we were assigned to create some backgrounds (Part 1) for the next class. These canvases were to be created with collaged paper but instead of gluing them down we were suppose to use tape in a variety of colours and patterns to hold everything together. In other words the tape is part of the design.

Last night or early this morning I started making two canvases. I was totally engrossed in the process and by 2:30 in the morning I had completed two backgrounds. Here they are:

fullsizeoutput_6e25
fullsizeoutput_6e24

Step two is to paint something (an object, animal, person) in white paint somewhere on these canvases. Haven’t quite decided what to do but I have a couple of ideas. Stay tuned.

A Study in Patience

…..Day 77

I’ve included this knitting project has one of my art pieces for my 365 Days of Art. It took me hours if not days to complete this shawl. I had never done a lacy pattern before but I think it was the 361 stitches on the needle that caused me the most grief. If I dropped one stitch or miscounted the whole piece was off and trying to fix a mistake when you’ve completed a row was close to impossible to fix. I ripped out the stitches four times and one of those times I was already finished with the lacy section when I realized that I had misread the last row of the pattern and had 70 stitches too many on my needle. Arghhh!

The fifth try was the charm. By this time I truly understood how the pattern worked and the number of stitches remained constant until it was time to decrease. I have to admit that after the third failure I was ready to give up. After all, it was taking away from my time at my art table but I decided that this project was a form of art so I persisted. I made a couple of trips back to the yarn store, Spin Me a Yarn, where I was given the encouragement I needed and some helpful tips for this project.

If you’re interested this pattern is called Mesquite Shawl from Zen Yarn Garden.

IMG_1454
IMG_1455
IMG_1456
IMG_1460

365 Days of Art – Enhancing My One-liners

…..day 75

Back in January, Carla Sonheim gave us an assignment to create multiple one-liners of birds, cats, flowers, houses or anything that tickled our fancy. I started them in a brand new sketch book and I’ve done some things since that I’m quite proud of. The one-liners, however, didn’t thrill me. On the first page I had drawn five different birds and every time I open the book that is the first thing I see. Today I decided to enhance or edit those birds. I should have taken a photo of the whole page before I made the changes but I didn’t. Going back through my photographs I did find one of the birds from a similar page. Here it is:

fullsizeoutput_6e1d

I’m much happier with my new rendition.

fullsizeoutput_6e1c