On day one of Sketchbook Revival one of the two visiting artists was Carla Sonheim. You’ve heard me mention her many times on my blog because I’m constantly taking on-line classes with her. For this particular session, Carla had us look for animals or objects in a photo of sidewalk cracks that she provided. I’ve done this exercise many times with my students when I was teaching. It’s a lot of fun and it’s amazing how many different things people can find. Here are 3 animals and one person that I found in the same photo.
When I heard that Carla Sonheim was bringing Lendon Noe back to do another course I just knew I had to do it. It’s a mixture of collage and abstract and using my personal space as inspiration. The course is called Inspired by Place. Check it out. You can sign up anytime.
The first lesson was a warm up. We had to draw different size squares and rectangles and then create different landscapes using only a horizon line and alternating the foreground, middle ground and background with different shades of black, white and grey tones. The grey tones come out in the papers with the text.
Then we had to take photos or find photos of a place that has special meaning for us. Most of the photos I collected were of the house and the park at the end of the street and of the cottage and the beach. Using one of these photos as inspiration we had to create an abstract landscape using some of the techniques we used above. I chose the view of the city that I see every day when I walk to the park.
….took another page of one-line drawings and added some interest
I love going back through my sketchbook and finding pages that I feel need more work. This is a page of one-line houses that I drew last year.
I purchased some new Tombow paint pens and pulled out my Artist Loft markers and added some colour to this piece. Then I added some collage for more interest. I’m much happier with this updated piece of art.
In one of my sketchbooks I have some pages of drawing that I’m not particularly fond of and over time I’ve gone back to them and added colour and some line detail. This time I added bits and pieces of printed transparency in a random fashion over one of the one-liner drawings I did of shoes. After I glued all my pieces down I added some line detail using a white paint pen and some fine black markers. Here is the original drawing.
A couple of hours later it was transformed into this:
….two days late but celebrations are taking place all week
It’s the Year of the Pig on the Chinese calendar and celebrations are in full swing all over the world where Chinese communities exist. To honour the Earth Pig I decided to create a collage over a quick sketch of a pig I had done last year. I actually love drawing pigs and this one was one of my practice pigs. There are actually other ‘pig parts’ on this page as well but I chose to cover them with some printed transparency film.
Gong Hei Fat Choy to all my colleagues and friends who celebrate Chinese New Year.
In the first lesson we were instructed to paste random pictures or pieces of paper on different pages of our sketch book and then go back and add more detail and bits of collage to create a picture. I put aside seven pages and shared six with you before I started on lesson two.
Today I went back to my sketch book and decided to take my last random page and add some of the transparency film pieces that I had cut out for my abstract floral designs. The original piece was the Alice in Wonderland illustration and the spider was the second bit. Today I added the bird like creature in blue and I added a crown of pink hair and a red starburst. I also added a couple of speech bubbles to add a little humour.
I love doing Zentangles so I decided to tie everything together with black lines and patterns. The whole process was very relaxing and ‘zen’ like.
I’m really enjoying this technique and as promised I tried something other than flowers. One of my random cuts turned out to look like a duck so I built a landscape around him. I can only assume he’s a he because of his bright colours. I added some marker detail on the duck, such as an eye and feathers. After gluing everything down I felt there was too much white so I added a wash of colour with my Winsor Newton Promarkers.