….finished way too late last night to post my finished piece
Yesterday I was inspired by Lisa Congdon after watching one of her art videos. I really enjoy making line drawings of flowers and Lisa takes it a few steps further by adding lots of mark details and another thing that I love, collage. Adding all the marks is very time consuming but also very meditative and I think that’s why I lost track of time when I made this piece.
The second photo is the piece that I just finished today. After not being very happy with my last ‘family portrait’ for Carla Sonheim’s class I decided I would try another. I’ve discovered that if I take my time and let things dry before moving on I get a much better result. Also this time I really enjoyed the assignment where as with the first attempt I wasn’t having much fun.
I cleaned off my art table yesterday. That was half the battle. Now I have no more excuses not to paint. On Hallowe’en I actually painted four individual cards for my neighbours but I forgot to photograph them. Painting is very therapeutic for me and I need to do it more often.
I’ve watched dozens of painting videos in the last four months and even though I felt inspired I just couldn’t get motivated to set up the paints. I want to enter an art show later in the month but I have to put my entries on line by November 6th. I’d better get busy. Here is my first attempt at mixed media ….mostly watercolour and ink.
I need a title for this painting. Any suggestions?
I’ve been squeezing in some time for art. I really don’t have any excuses for not doing more but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching art videos and when the moment to create strikes I have my supplies close at hand. This happen a few days ago when I watched a YouTube video by Creations Cee Cee.
I had note cards handy and I wanted to send my father a card anyway so I decided to paint and doodle right on the card. The whole process started with laying down areas of colour with watercolour paints and then letting it dry.
Once the paint was dry I took a black ink pen and started doodling shapes around the colour splotches and then added leaves and more details to the blooms. I finished it off with some white and gold marks in the flowers and around them.
….thanks to Carla Sonheim for this wonderful class
I’m in the habit of purchasing on line art classes and then not completing every assignment. Luckily I have access to the class forever so I can always go back and see if I am more inspired later on.
The last class I purchased, Flower Crazy 2, kept me motivated throughout all eight assignments. The final assignment involved creating two paintings, using watercolour, gel medium, collage, ink and pencil or charcoal. There were numerous steps involved and with each step the painting evolved into these interesting abstract creations.
….in lesson three after making stamps from a kneadable eraser
After playing with my homemade stamp I proceeded to create a bunch of small paintings using all the techniques taught by Carla Sonheim in Crazy Flowers 2, up to this point; watercolour scraping, abstract flowers using a Pilot Pen, mark making with unusual tools and stamps made from a kneadable eraser.
The lesson only wanted three paintings but I got a little carried away and did five. The first on is a bit busy but I quite like the rest.
….another interesting technique from Carla Sonheim’s ‘Crazy Flowers 2’ lessons
Instead of buying expensive stamps you can make stamps from kneadable erasers. Simply knead the eraser into a tube or cone shape and flatten one end till it’s about the size of a quarter. Then press the flat surface into something with texture or add marks with a pointy tool or the edge of a knife.
Pick up some ink from a stamp pad and try it on a scrap piece of paper first. You can play around with ghost printing and overlapping colours. Here is my sample sheet of flowers made using this technique.
The next assignment is to use all the techniques taught so far and create three small painting of abstract flowers.
Using watercolour I added colour to a doodle that I had made last week. This time I looked for shapes and found a bird and a whimsical bee. With other shapes I created some abstract flowers. Here is the doodle before paint.
Here is the finished piece with watercolour and some extra Micron pen detail.
I took another doodle and added colour but this time I used watercolour and I made random circles and ovals all over the page. When it dried I added line detail with my Micron pen and I created a page of abstract flowers.
I made the doodle last week and I thought I had taken a photo of it before I started painting it at the cottage but apparently I hadn’t. I think you get the idea.